Ilkeliani Camp, Masai Mara, Kenya
Ilkeliani, Masai Mara
ilkeliani, is the name given to the age group of the young Maasai warrior. The young warrior is thus an ilkeliani before he becomes the il Moran.
To become a warrior is the dream of every Maasai youth; the word itself seems to convey magical powers. A warrior must be strong, clever, courageous, confident, wise and gentle… Warriors enjoy great comradeship, sharing with one another everything from food to girl friends. In addition to the practical services they provide for the group they live among, warriors also add an immeasurable sense of excitement, adventure, and romance; without their songs, their poetry, their flirting, their bold masculinity, Maasai life would not be the same.
MAASAI, TEPILIT OLE SAITOTI
Ilkeliani, Masai Mara is a permanent luxury tented camp, centrally located in the Masai Mara. Camp environs have been intentionally preserved so as to feel, as close as possible, to nature.
Ilkeliani, Masai Mara has seventeen tents with each guest tent positioned on the edge of the Talek River looking out onto the Masai Mara plains. Guest tents are also well spaced out thereby ensuring that guests have maximum privacy. Lighting is provided by solar power and all tents are ensuite with flush toilets and hot water showers 24 hours (we use a recycled by-product as fuel to keep the boilers hot).
The ilkeliani, Masai Mara experience is one enjoyed entirely under canvas. Meals are enjoyed alfresco under the shade of indigenous trees or in the dining tent. The culinary affair is indeed one to delight the senses. Enjoy the luxury of an early morning wake up call with freshly brewed coffee. See the sun going down in all its magnificence with sundowner drinks and camp fire on site at the Camp.
Game viewing is done in custom designed four-wheel drive vehicles. Being centrally located in the Masai Mara, game viewing experiences are a rewarding experience all year round.
Our resident Maasai Naturalist will guide you on a nature walk explaining the flora and fauna of the Masai Mara eco-system or allow him the time to intrigue you on the cultural aspects of his people the Maasai.
• Permanent luxury tented Camp
• Location: centrally located in the Masai Mara eco-system, on River Talek
• Accommodation: 17 tents made up of doubles, twins.
• Secluded tents with private veranda’s, spacious and well appointed.
• All guest tents ensuite; flush toilets, hot & cold water showers
• Lighting: Solar power in guest tents.
• Each tent positioned along river with views of Masai Mara plains
• Large Bar lounge tent and Dining tent
• Early morning wake up call with tea/coffee
• Afternoon tea
• Sundowner with camp fire nibbles
• Fine cuisine*
• Maasai Naturalist conducts nature walks and cultural talks (no charge)
• Eco – Friendly
• Airstrip; Olkiombo
• Game Drives in 4 x 4 vehicles
• Access by road; 4 ½ hours from Nairobi
• Great annual Wildebeest Migration July – October
• Game viewing good all year round
• Weather: warm days and cool nights
* We cater for special dietary requirements, e.g. Vegetarians