Mutamaiyu House Laikipia, Kenia
Location: On the 49,000 acre Mugie Wildlife Conservancy in Laikipia, a district in Northern Kenya consisting of semi-arid grassland and savannah bush.
Property description: A gracious manor house, private home of Nicky and Gaby Hahn, which offers its guests a unique opportunity to live their own African dream: participating in ranch life and vital conservation work within one of Africa’s last great wilderness areas including the big five.
Mutamaiyu House has 4 spacious luxury cottages, each with its own fire place, built to take full advantage of the spectacular views.
240V charging facilities as well as wireless internet connectivity are available.
Total Number of cottages 4
Rondavel cottage size Diameter of 10 mt
Bath rooms size 5,6 x 5 mt
King bed (7 x 7ft)
-Standard size single beds can be added 2
Twin beds (2 @ 7 x 3.5ft)
– Standard size single beds can be added 2
• Water, soft drinks, beer, house wines and non-luxury spirits are included in the room rates.
• Champagne, special wines and luxury spirits are at an additional cost.
Daily Activities personalised to guest requirements:
• Day & night game drives in the Mugie Wildlife Conservancy with Professional Safari Guides
• Visits to the Mugie Rhino Sanctuary
• Lion tracking
• Guided bush walks
• Camel walks
• Heated swimming pool
• Bush breakfast
• Visit to the Mugie school
• Introduction to the Pokot and Samburu traditional ways of life
• Visit to the weekly market day in Suguta Marmar
• Join in with day to day ranching activities
• Visit to the Gala graves
• Clay Pigeon Shooting *
• Cultural boma visit *
• Day trip to Roof of the World –(Porro-Maralal) *
* Activities at an extra cost
Game drives are done in closed 4WD safari vehicles with three roof hatches.
A maximum of five guests per vehicle.
Dining & Lounge:
• Spacious dining room with large windows to maximise views.
• Dinner is served around a large dining table ‘dinner party style’.
• Private meals can be arranged.
• International cuisine caters to a variety of dietary requirements.
Mugie Ranch is a commercial livestock ranch, which includes cattle, sheep, goats and camels.
The ranch is a vital part of the local economy as local villages,
small-scale farmers and nomadic tribesmen supply livestock to the ranch.
Mugie Ranch is also a founding member of Laikipia Wildlife Forum, an association of the residents of Laikipia to conserve the integrity of the Laikipia ecosystem by creatively managing the natural resources to improve the livelihood of its people.
A huge success story is the Mugie Primary and Nursery school, built and funded by Mugie Ranch since its creation 15 years ago. The school, currently at 150 children has moved from 17th position to 1st position within the region over the last three years! A School Trust has been formed to enable gifted children to further education on leaving the school. Mugie Ranch provides the children with uniforms, all education materials and two meals a day.
How to get there:
GPS co-ordinates: N 00 42 528
E 036 35 121
By road: Approximately 4½ hours driving time from Nairobi.
By air: Nearby airstrips are Mugie (10 min game drive) and Loisaba (45 min). These are private and unmanned airstrips, serviced by Mugie and Loisaba:
• Safarilink – from Nairobi daily @ 10.20 am to Loisaba with return
o from Loisaba to Nairobi @ 12.20 am (min. 2 persons)
o from Loisaba to the Maasai Mara @ 11.50 am (min. 2 persons)
• Charter flights as requested
Annual closing dates:
• Months of January and June