Ol Malo House Laikipia, Kenya
Situated on the northern edge of the Laikipia plateau, Ol Malo House is built on the edge of a rugged escarpment looking out across the time-honoured lands of Kenya’s Northern Frontier District.
An ancient land inhabited by wildlife and peoples of a time long ago, undisturbed and living by the rhythm of nature, there, as part of this untamed and beautiful landscape is Ol Malo – Place of the Greater Kudu.
Ol Malo House is owned and hosted by Colin and Rocky Francombe and their son, Andrew.
The main House has three double bedrooms with ensuite baths. Two separate cottages are adjacent to the House – one with a double bedroom and ensuite bath and the other with two double bedrooms with ensuite baths and a small sitting area. In total, Ol Malo House has six bedrooms so the house can comfortably sleep 12 guests with lots of room for young.
Lighting is by a 240V generator, run morning and evening hours. Hair dryers can be used in rooms with prior warning to management. Phone and camera batteries can be charged in rooms.
• The House has a large sitting and dining room with fireplace
• Horizon swimming pool with superb views
• Large area around the swimming pool is complete with sitting,
eating and BBQ area and is perfect for al fresco meals
• Laundry services provided
• Gift shop
• Masseuse – can be arranged but need prior notice
• Guests can request internet access
• Mobile phone networks are intermittent
• Credit card facilities –Mastercard and Visa
Full board accommodation, house-wines, beers & soft drinks.
Special dietary requirements can be accommodated with prior notice.
• Shared game drives in open 4×4 vehicles with knowledgeable guides,
both during the day and at night
• Game walks with an experienced guide
• Horse riding for both experienced riders and novices
• Camel rides across the plains
• Mountain biking on the hilly terrain
• Cultural visits with local communities
• Overnight in the Look Out by a water-hole which is visited by a variety of wildlife
• Masseuse – can be arranged by need prior notice
• Daily scheduled flight to Loisaba departing from Wilson Airport.
Transfer to Ol Malo is 40 minutes away and is included.
• Daily scheduled flight to Nanyuki departing from Wilson Airport.
Connect with private charter to Ol Malo airstrip.
• Daily scheduled flight to Loisaba departing from Maasai Mara.
Transfer to Ol Malo is 40 minutes away and is included
• By private charter flight, directly Ol Malo airstrip
Ol Malo House will be closed in April, May and November.
Ol Malo has 15 horses – 8 rideable and the rest young horses coming on. Small, Somali type horses/ponies – strong and good for trekking. Horses are schooled to trail riding. All level of riders are provided for and children can be accommodated. Horses are used to going amongst the wildlife. Game seen on rides include giraffe, zebra, gazelles, eland, oryx, occasional cat and elephant at certain times of year. No polo or show jumping offered.
Type of saddles – mainly Argentinean saddles, some English.
Equipment at the Lodge – Riding hats, riding jodhpurs or chaps, riding boots/shoes